Legos are colorful plastic bricks that are assembled to make anything you can imagine. Lego sets come in different shapes and sizes. There are different types available on Amazon and it can be difficult to find the best one for your child without any help.
Some very specific models don’t show up in every toy store, which might make them difficult to find unless you know where to look for them. We have compiled a list of the Best Lego Sets for 5-Year-Olds and will cover both large and small sets alike so that you know exactly where to begin shopping.
6 Best Lego Sets for 5-Year-Olds
The market presently features innumerable LEGO sets to choose from. Over the years the kind of products offered in the market has grown tremendously and it surely is difficult to choose one among them all. Below we have reviewed some of the most popular ones that are best sellers.
1. LEGO Marvel Spidey Hulk vs. Rhino Truck Showdown 10782 Building Toy Set for Kids
This LEGO Marvel Spidey Hulk vs. Rhino Truck Showdown 10782 Building Toy Set is designed for kids, but adults will enjoy it too. It has a large truck that is not just for show, as it’s also a giant smashing machine with smashing action and working treads.
The truck also features an opening driver’s cab with a seat, tools that store in the side panels, and a rear storage area with opening doors. There are also two Minifigures: Spider-Man and Rhino.
The set is perfect for those who want more than just the usual LEGO set to build and play with. Suitable for kids aged between 4-7 years old, this toy set has more than 100 pieces to help children develop their creativity skills by building scenes as well as improving their computational thinking skills.
- Includes mini-figures, the number of pieces, and the vehicle
- Comes with clear instructions for assembling both models, so it is easy for kids
- The model-building process is relatively easy as it involves only basic techniques.
- Spiderman is beautifully designed with a great texture depicting the costume in detail
- A truck comes with an openable cab with space for Spidey to hide inside while chasing bad guys on Rhino’s back.
- Can be difficult to assemble because there are many small pieces
- Poor labeling on some pages can make it confusing to put together complex sets
2. LEGO Creator 3in1 Race Car Transporter 31113 Building Kit
Lego Creator 3in1 Race Car Transporter is a toy that has been universally loved by children for many years, and it can be used to transport three cars of different sizes. This kit includes 328 bricks and an easy-to-follow instruction booklet with step-by-step building instructions.
The best part about this toy is that it can be used as a race car transporter, a truck cab, and a race car. Your child can use their creativity to create different combinations and use these toys in all sorts of ways.
- Builds 3 models: a race car transporter, a race car, and a racing driver
- The transporter and trailer are detachable from the main model making it a lot easier to play
- Includes 2 motors and stands
- Easy to assemble
- Includes building instructions booklet
- Pieces are easy to break and can pose a danger to small children who put them in their mouths or try to swallow them
- Younger children may have trouble following instructions without assistance from an adult
3. LEGO City Great Vehicles Tractor 60287 Building Toy Set for Kids
LEGO City Great Vehicles Tractor 60287 Building Toy Set is perfect for builders and children who love vehicles. Boys and girls will love being able to create their very own tractors, and other construction-site vehicles while parents can enjoy watching their children’s imaginations grow as they play with the set.
The tractor comes with huge rear tires and a tipping loader bucket. The boom and the cab are also both customizable.
- Provides an easy-to-understand instruction booklet
- Provides 3 levels of building complexity to suit kids of all ages
- The design is simple enough put together and also offers enough detail for a more advanced builder to enjoy as well
- Kids can easily combine it with other toy playsets by LEGO
- The set includes a cool toy tractor having realistic features along with hay bales, veggie elements, a farmer & daughter Minifigure, and a rabbit figure
- Might be too complex for a 5-year-old who has not started school yet
- Average build quality
4. LEGO Classic Medium Creative Brick Box 10696 Building Toy Set
The set includes 484 pieces, so there are many options for building and creativity. The set also includes an inspirational guide with a few projects to get your creativity started. It is perfect for any kid that wants to explore their imagination and have fun doing it. 484 pieces are giving you plenty of options when it comes to building and creativity.
This set comes with a wide range of pieces that can be used to create simple or complex structures. The pieces come in different colors and shapes, which can be combined in any way the user wants.
- Great for beginners, this medium set is appealing to kids and is made of more than 480 pieces
- Bricks are durable and built to last, so it will be an investment, not a one-time-use toy
- Versatile and a great value for the price
- Includes windows, toy eyes, 18 tires and toy wheel rims, a container to use as toy storage, a train, a windmill, and a lot more
- Pieces are too big for smaller hands, as they might be hard to stack or move around
- Sometimes it can get frustrating when trying to put the different shapes together and can take a long time
5. LEGO Friends Forest House 41679 Building Kit
The LEGO Friends Forest house is a beautiful forest toy. It has very vibrant colors and a detailed design with a tree house in the center. For kids who love nature, this is the perfect gift!
The Lego Friends Forest House stands for 7 inches tall and contains 326 pieces to build. The kit includes extra-large lego bricks for easy building, as well as helpful instructions with different ways to assemble them so that the builder can choose what they prefer.
The set comes with 2 mini-dolls, a LEGO Friends Ava micro-doll, plus a raccoon figure and a separate scene to extend playtime.
- House is big enough for children and adults to play and build at the same time
- Treehouse design provides excellent terrain for building
- Minimalist design will keep kids engaged for hours without getting bored
- All pieces included in this set are high quality, durable and safe for children
- Expensive than some other options
6. LEGO Friends Baking Competition 41393 Building Kit
This LEGO set comes with three different Friends characters, an oven, a cake stand, a mixer, and several other accessories. It is designed for children aged 5-12 years old. The goal of the game is to bake various delicious cakes with the help of your friends.
The kit also comes with a tray of recipe cards, cake pans, oven mitts, and measuring cups which can be used to create the toy cakes that are included in the set.
- Teaches children how to bake
- Helps children develop spatial awareness and critical thinking skills
- Features 3 different LEGO Friends characters
- 361 pieces provide a lot of creative opportunities for children to build their creations
- Might be too advanced and complicated for some young kids to play around with without help from an adult or older sibling.
Now onto the guide! Living up to its name for being one of the world’s most cherished toys, there seems to be a never-ending list of what is considered the “best” lego set for children.
1. Types of Lego Sets
There are two main categories of lego sets: building sets and play sets.
- Building sets are typically the more advanced type of set which require a great deal of thought, focus, and the ability to follow directions with close attention to detail to build the end product.
- Play sets are meant for playing or pretending with your child. They usually have figures or scenes from popular movies such as Batman, Star Wars, etc.
Your budget will largely be the determining factor in how much you can spend on a single set. If you’re not sure about your budget or what kind of sets are within your price range, take a look at some of the starter kits to see what’s available for less than $20. From there, you can work your way up from there to find something more expensive or with more pieces.
Age is another factor that comes into play when buying LEGO sets because they come in various levels of difficulty which correspond with age groups: easy (ages 5-7), medium (ages 8-12), hard (ages 12-15).
4. Your Child’s Interest
Target the best set for what you know about their interests. Do they want to build a house? Maybe get something with a lot of bricks and pieces, like The Lego Creator 3in1. Does your child want more of a challenge? Consider the Lego Marvel Super Heroes Spiderman with its more complex and intricate build process that will provide hours of fun!
If your child is interested in nerf guns then our guide for Best Nerf Guns for Kids is worth reading for you.
We have tried to review different LEGO sets and each has its value. For instance, if your child loves playing with superhero characters, then you surely need to consider LEGO Marvel Spidey Hulk vs. Rhino Truck Showdown 10782 Building Toy Set for Kids. However, if your girl loves cooking or baking, it’s LEGO Friends Baking Competition 41393, Building Kit, to go with.