Nerf guns have been around for a long time and have been used by kids of all ages. There are many types, from small ones to bigger ones. Some nerf guns are designed to fly farther and some are designed to hit more accurately.
These toys are marketed as safe, plastic replicas of guns that can fire foam darts. They are designed with soft foam that has been approved by ASTM International, which means that they are non-toxic and will not cause any harm to the skin even if it comes in contact.
They are a fun way to teach your child a range of skills, such as hand-eye coordination, responsibility, team-building skills, and many others. They can be a great present for your child’s birthday or Christmas.
The Best Nerf Guns For Kids 2022
Here we explore the various types of nerf guns that can be found in the market today and decide on the best one for your child based on their age, temperament, and interests.
1. NERF Disruptor Elite Blaster
NERF Disruptor Elite Blaster is the newest addition to Nerf’s line-up. It features a rotating drum, slam fire, and six elite darts. With the release of this blaster, it looks like they are hitting millennials and adults as well.
The NERF Disruptor Elite Blaster comes with a rotating drum that can hold six elite darts. An interesting feature termed Slam Fire makes it easier to use in rapid succession. You can also add an extra clip to the side of the blaster for more shots.
- Firing range of 90 feet
- The Quick-draw blaster makes the experience a lot more interesting
- 6-dart rotating drum gives an amazingly realistic feel while firing
- Highly accurate shots if used correctly
- No Instructions provided
- Average build quality
2. NERF Elite 2.0 Commander RC-6 Blaster
The Nerf Elite 2.0 Commander RC-6 Blaster is a toy blaster made by Hasbro, the company behind the iconic Nerf brand. It comes with 12 darts, a 6-dart rotating drum, tactical rails, a barrel and a stock attachment point. It can fire up to 12 darts without reloading.
The gun utilizes new high-power flywheels for motorized firing that can reach targets up to 90 feet away with precision and accuracy. They also have a tactical rail system for attachments like scopes or lights, and loadable drum magazines that allow for storage of a blaster’s ammo on the blaster itself. It also comes with built-in stabilizers so players always have support where they need it most.
- Supports up to 12 shots without reloading
- Has a great range of 90 feet or 27 meters
- Available in frustration-free packaging option too
- Better support thanks to built-in stabilizers
- Not for children below 8 years of age
- Average build quality
3. NERF Elite 2.0 Shockwave RD-15 Blaster
NERF Elite 2.0 Shockwave RD-15 Blaster includes 30 darts, a 15-dart rotating drum, pump-action slam fire, and built-in customizing capabilities. It also has an easy grip handle for better control and has a tactical rail for additional accessories like scopes or lights.
Shockwave blaster is compatible with all dart types from Nerf Elite, N-Strike Elite, or other toy blaster brands. You have the option to customize your shots to one dart at a time using the pump-action blaster or unleashing all 15 darts rapidly thanks to the slam-fire action mechanism.
- Shoots at a rate of 18 darts per second meaning your kids can get in all their shots before getting caught!
- Handles are adjustable ensuring a comfortable way to hold them while playing
- Can also be stored easily when the game is over
- Has a shooting range of 90 feet i.e., 27 meters
- Some customers have complained about getting jammed
4. Nerf N Strike Elite Strongarm Toy Blaster With Rotating Barrel
The Nerf N-Strike Elite Strongarm blaster features an easy-to-load 6-dart rotating barrel and slam-fire action to send darts blasting as fast as you can pull the trigger. It’s just like the big guy’s use in Mission: Impossible – Fallout, but with a price tag your pocketbook will love.
The blaster is best used by kids aged 14 years or older. It should be used with caution by younger children who may think it’s a real gun. It is best used by children in open spaces away from others to avoid injury.
- Comes with 6 Official Nerf Elite darts designed for distance, tested and approved for performance
- Constructed of foam with flexible, hollow tips
- Has a firing range of 90 feet
- Easy to open and store packaging
- Easy flip to open and reload bullets quickly
- Average build quality
5. Toy Gun for Nerf Guns Automatic Sniper Rifle
It has 3 modes of shooting with 120 bullets, 2 magazines, and a motorized activity. This Nerf gun is an excellent gift idea for those who are into shooting games and would like to practice their skills with different types of guns.
Kids can have fun blooping around the house or outdoors with this toy machine gun. It is not only functional but also aesthetically pleasing and fun to use. The gun is suitable for kids aged 8 years and above.
- Features 3 shoot modes i.e., single shots, 3 darts bursts, and automatic shots
- Includes rechargeable batteries
- Highly accurate shots with a shooting range of 50 feet (electric motorized shots)
- Realistic design based on the M416
- 120 bullets & 2 magazines included
- Requires a fully charged battery to play
6. Duckura 2 Pack Blaster Guns Boys Toy Gun with 80 Refill Foam Darts Bullet
The Duckura 2 Pack Blaster Guns Boys Toy Gun is a great toy for children who are in between the ages of 3-8. It is a gun that fires foam darts and bullets.
The gun comes with 80 Refill Foam Darts Bullet making a great gift to give to your child on their birthday or for any other occasion. It has a variety of features including the firing power, the number of darts available, and the design that is not only fun but also safe.
- Two guns and 80 refill foam darts in the package
- The very firm gun is made of plastic and the darts are non-toxic making them great for durable gaming
- Easy to open and store packaging
- Fires with strong power and at higher speeds
- The targets included in the package are just stickers
- Construction quality is average
Below is all that you need to know before buying a nerf gun so that you can come out with the best decision possible while investing in one.
1. Type of Nerf Guns
Nerf Guns are generally grouped into three categories: single-fire blasters, repeating blasters, and motorized blasters. The best type of blaster depends on your child’s age and abilities as well as other factors such as convenience, storage, and cost.
Does the gun weigh more than 1.5 pounds? If it does, it is not appropriate for children below the age of 8.
The range of the Nerf gun can vary depending on the product and its model. It ranges from 7-30 feet, with most models having a 20-foot range. Depending on your play area, you may opt for the gun that covers the required range.
Not all Nerfs are equally priced so this might be an important factor when considering which one to buy your kids. However, you have options in almost every budget category. For smaller kids, it’s always good to opt for an affordable gun while for kids above 10, you may go for a premium product.
Nerf guns are usually safe for kids, but there are certain requirements that parents should be aware of before letting their children have a toy nerf gun. The most important thing adults can do is make sure that toy guns are kept away from kids younger than three years old because there is a risk of breathing or swallowing them.
Moreover, although they may shoot soft projectiles, if the wrong type of projectile is used, it could cause serious injuries to people nearby or even the person who shot it. It is also important to keep in mind that children under 8 years of age should never be allowed to use or play with nerf guns without direct supervision by an adult.
Nerf guns are one of the best toys that both kids and adults could play with. However, caution is needed when using them as improper handling or usage of improper bullets can be injurious. Speaking of the best product you may buy from the ones reviewed above, the choice is completely based on the age group or purpose you are buying them.
Related: 6 Best Play-Doh Sets in 2022
If it’s for kids between 3 to 6 years, we recommend buying Duckura 2 Pack Blaster Guns Boys Toy Gun with 80 Refill Foam Darts Bullet. But if it’s for adults or kids above 10 years, the best option could be the Toy Gun for Nerf Guns Automatic Sniper Rifle.
The latter is perfect as it gives a more realistic experience while playing. However, the former is a great starter for smaller kids as it’s safer and lighter.